About Us Student Visa

Student Visa (Study/Research/Internship)


A. Student :

A Student visa is granted to an individual who produces proof of admission to a full-time course in a recognized educational institution in India. For school and higher education and for those coming under Student Exchange Programme. For studies in Yoga, Vedic culture, Indian systems of music and dance, Buddhist studies and theological studies. In case of admission in a medical or para-medical course a letter of approval or a "No Objection Certificate" from the Ministry of Health should be submitted.

B. Research :

For Research scholars, visiting research faculty, research scholar on bilateral exchange programme, members of botanical scientific anthropological expeditions, etc.

An individual who desires to undertake research in India should apply giving the Synopsis, subject of the research, details of places to be visited, letter for recommendation/support from the institute in Canada, Original letter of invitation from the Indian institute on their letterhead and evidence of source of funding.

Persons of Indian origin holding an OCI Card do not have to apply for a research visa. However, based on the purpose OCI holders have to upload documents on the website www.ociservices.gov.in to apply for special permission to conduct research in India. Please visit www.ociservices.gov.in and apply for special permission to avoid any problem at immigration post or FRRO after arriving in India.

C. Internship

Student visa will be granted to a foreigner intending to pursue internship in Indian companies/Educational Institutions/NGOs. The visa will be granted at any time during the course of study or immediately after completion of graduation/ post graduation but the gap between the completion of graduation/ post graduation and the commencement of the internship should not be more than two year.

In case the internship is in a Company, the foreign national being sponsored for internship should draw a minimum remuneration of Rs. 3.60 lakhs per annum. There will be no minimum salary limit in the case of internship in Educational institution and NGOs.

Earning from internship of the foreign nationals with Indian companies/ Educational Institutions/ NGOs will be subject to the Indian Income Tax Regulations.

Foreign nationals granted Student visa for doing internship will have to register themselves with the Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO)/ Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) concerned within 14 days of arrival in India if continuous stay is for more than 180 days.

Under no circumstances, the foreign national will be allowed to take up employment in India immediately after completion of the internship programme. Conversion of this visa into any other type of visa will not be permitted.


1.  Student Visa will not be issued for pursuing ‘Short Term Courses’ which are not recognized.

2. List of recognized institutions are available on,www.ugc.ac.in and www.mhrd.gov.in. List of institutes approved by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) is available on their website www.aicte-india.org.


Processing Time : Please note this application may take longer processing time.


For student visa checklist click here...

© 2024 Consulate General of India, Toronto, Canada. All Rights Reserved.

Visitors: 21137725  |  Page last updated on: 10-04-2024