About Us FAQs

Visa FAQs


Q) Do I need a visa to go to India?

A) Yes, all foreigners need a visa to enter India.


Q) Can I get a visa on arrival to enter India? 

A) No, foreigner must obtain a visa before taking a flight to India. Foreigner cannot obtain a visa on arrival in India.


Q) What is the visa application process for India?

A) All Foreign national need a visa to travel in India. Based on the visa types, applicant has to go through below steps to apply for Indian visa

Step 1- Submission of application online

Please register & submit the Visa application online following the guidelines at the below link. Please carefully read the details and various provisions provided on the Visa website and follow while submitting application for Visa.



A step wise process can be seen at the below link:


Process for uploading photo online for visa application can be seen at the below link.



Step 2 – Submit print out of the Visa application along with the supporting documents and Fee at the authorised BLS Center.

For further details with regard to application form, documents, fees, contact details of BLS etc., please visit BLS website 

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/visas.php .


Q) Where can I submit the visa application form?

A) Visa applications are to be submitted at the BLS centres:

All the BLS Centres location under the CGI Toronto’s Jurisdiction can be found on this link.

BLS Website: https://www.blsindia-canada.com


Q) I want to visit India for tourism/to attend a friend's marriage/ to meet my friends. Which visa should I apply for?

A) Applicant has to apply for a tourist visa.


Q) Can I study in India?

A) Yes. With a valid student visa for a recognized university/educational institution.


Q) Can I work in India?

A) Yes. With a valid employment visa.


Q) I travel to India frequently for business meetings/to explore opportunities for partnerships with Indian companies. Which visa should I apply for?

A) Applicant may apply for a business visa valid for multiple entries along with the requisite documents as per the checklist. Kindly note that a Business Visa does not permit anyone to work in India. In case they wish to work in India, they should apply for an Employment Visa.


Q) I am a Canadian national and I go for one or two months every year for tourism. Which visa should I apply for?

A) Applicant can apply for a Tourist visa, which is not extendable in India.


Q) I will be changing flights/airports in India to travel to my final destination (say Nepal, Thailand etc.) Do I need a visa to change flights/airport terminals?

A) Applicant needs to apply for a transit visa if they are going to change from an international terminal to a domestic terminal of any Indian airport or if they are going to stay in an airport hotel even for a few hours. They don't need a transit visa if they stay in the waiting area reserved for international transit passengers in an Indian airport. Note that applicant can stay for a maximum period of 72 hours in India on a transit visa. They should have a confirmed air ticket for the onward journey.


Q) I have to participate in a Conference/Seminar/Workshop in India. Which visa should I apply for?

A) Applicant should apply for a Conference Visa to enable them to participate in the Conference/Seminar/ Workshop along with invitation letter, details of the Conference etc. Clearance from the competent authority in India is required.


Q) I will travel at a much later date. Can my visa be issued to coincide with the date of travel?

A) No. post-dated visas are not issued. The validity of the visa begins from the date of issue.


Q) I have to go for internship/training in a university/institute/company in India for a short period. Which visa should I apply for

A) Applicant should apply for an Intern/Student visa along with a copy of the offer letter stating the terms of internship. They may also be required to submit a copy of the inter-university student exchange agreement if the proposed internship is a component of such an agreement. They would be required to submit proof of financial standing to support your stay in India.


Q) I will be going to India for work/employment along with my family. Which visa should I apply for? Would my children be able to study in India?

A) You must apply for an employment visa along with the requisite documents. Once your visa application is approved, your spouse and children may apply for dependent employment visas in case they are accompanying you on your stay in India. Your children will be able to secure admission in schools/colleges in India once they have been granted appropriate visas. Kindly note that you have to undergo mandatory registration formalities at the nearest office of the FRRO/FRO within 14 days of your arrival in India if you are planning to stay in India for a period longer than 180 days.


Q) I will be studying in India for one semester/trimester in an IIT/IIM/IISc/Indian university. Which visa should I apply for?

A) Applicant should apply for a student visa along with a copy of the letter from the institute/university confirming their acceptance as a student. Applicant would also be required to submit proof of financial standing to support their stay in India.


Q) I had applied for a visa for India but I have changed my mind about visiting the country. Can I claim a refund of the visa fee?

A) Visa fees are non-refundable. Once the visa application is accepted, fees cannot be refunded even if the visa is refused/not granted.


Q) Do I need a visa for my pet who is accompanying me on my visit to India?

A) Visa is not required for taking a pet to India, but certain customs and vaccination-related regulations have to be complied with. Please check the following linkhttps://aqcsindia.gov.in/Home/ImportPetUnderBaggage . You may also check with your airline.


Q) My application and passport have been submitted and it has been a while, how can I enquire about the status of my application?

A) Please track your passport by logging on BLS Services website http://www.blsindia-canada.com or by calling their Helpline at +1 289 498 1320 (between 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday - Saturday except closed Holidays).


Q) How do I know when my passport is ready for collection from the Indian Consular Services in Canada?

A) Please track your passport by logging on http://www.blsindia-canada.com. You can also call the BLS International Services Canada Inc. Helpline number at +1 289 498 1320 to check the status of your passport.


Q) Can I collect my passport from the Consulate General in Toronto?

A) No. You have to collect your passport from the BLS Centres in Canada where you made the application.


Q) Do I have to submit my passport and visa application with the India Consular Services only?

A) Yes, However, Diplomats and officials of foreign diplomatic Mission, UN and other international organization personnel, Canadian government official holding diplomatic / official passport must submit their visa application directly to the Consulate General of India.


Q) How do I pay for the visa and service charges?

A) Please visit the following link:

For Canadian Passport holders: https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/visa-canadian-holders/ 

For Non Canadian Passport holders: https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/visa-noncanadian-holders/ 




Q) Will I be allowed to carry liquor to India?

A) Yes. But if you are traveling to Gujarat, you will have to apply for a liquor permit (http://eps.gpeonline.co.in/) Please check with your airline for other restrictions on alcohol.


Q) Do all the applicants need to be present at the time of submitting an application?

A) No. An application can be sent either by mail or in person by an immediate family member. Applications are NOT received through agents or representatives.


Q) Will the visa and service fee courier service fees be refunded?

A) No refunds. Fees once received would not be refunded, even if the application is withdrawn or denied service.


Q) I wish to visit certain areas in India like Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Nagaland etc. Can I obtain a visa to visit these areas?

A) A tourist visa is not sufficient to visit these areas because all of these regions in India are restricted/protected areas for which it is necessary to obtain a Restricted/Protected Area Permit (RAP/PAP). This permit can be obtained in India either from the Ministry of Home Affairs or FRRO concerned after entering India with a tourist visa. You can visit certain open areas in Sikkim for a maximum period of 15 days in case you request a 'special endorsement for Sikkim' at the time of applying for your tourist visa.


Q) I have not surrendered my Indian passport after obtaining Canadian / Foreign Citizenship. How can I submit my entry visa application where in surrender certificate is one of the documents to be submitted with visa application?

A) All the applicants who earlier held Indian passport are required to surrender their Indian passport after obtaining foreign/Canadian citizenship. Person of Indian origin must enclose a copy of Surrender Certificate of old Indian passport.


Q) I am a Canadian national. However, prior to taking up Canadian nationality, I was a citizen of Pakistan. I want to travel to India. What are the requirements to submit visa application?

A) Please check the guidelines for submission of visa application by Pakistani nationals and people of Pakistani origin at the following linkhttps://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/pakistani-nationals-and-people-of-pakistani-origin/


*If your query is not answered above, please click here to submit your query. (Please note that inquiries related to status for an application will not be accepted)

*To check the status of the query submitted by you please click here. (Consulate may take 24 hours to respond to a query)



© 2024 Consulate General of India, Toronto, Canada. All Rights Reserved.

Visitors: 22018327  |  Page last updated on: 14-06-2024